We linked to the FAQ on the "HD Details Revealed" blog, but we have added to it since then and want to make sure everyone has seen it!
(Make sure you read all the way to the end!)
We know you are all eagerly anticipating new information, and we want to give it to you!
But there is a caveat - the developers at Hidden Path are hard at work, cranking out improvements to things, so while we would love to reveal everything all at once - we can't because they're still working on them!
Patience grasshoppers, you will be rewarded.
I have the original Age of Empires 2 Can I play multiplayer matches with my friends who have the new HD version?
- Age of Empires 2: HD Edition uses a different multiplayer service than the original version, so cross-platform matchmaking is not possible. You will need to have the same version as your friend in order to play together.
Can I redeem my cd key from the original Age of Empires 2 to get the new HD version?
- Cd key activation is not available. You can only get Age of Empires 2: HD Edition via direct purchase from Steam.
Can I play the game over LAN?
- You can play single player while Steam is in offline mode, but you will still need internet access to connect to Steam for multiplayer capability.
Does Age of Empires 2: HD Edition support Steam cloud saves?
Will this game be available on Mac or Linux?
- There are no plans for a Mac OS or Linux version at this time.
Will the game be available in my region?
- Age of Empires II: HD Edition will be available in any region that Steam currently supports.
Can I play with gamers worldwide?
- You can play with Age of Empires II: HD Edition gamers around the world. Searching for games will present results based on the best ping available. Set up private or friend’s only games, or invite players for easy access to your pals around the world.
What kind of Matchmaking is there?
- Up to 8 Players
- Quick-match Matchmaking
- Game Lobby Browser
- Invite your Steam friends to custom games
How will the Leaderboard rankings work? (Similar to AOE3, etc?)
- All leaderboards are handled through the Steam API. You do have a user rank / skill that is calculated like an ELO, but it's not in public facing tiers like Age of Empires III. All of the multiplayer is also handled through Steam, so our feature set falls within the realm of the API’s capabilities; we’ll provide additional detail between now and launch.
How do I use Steam Workshop?
- Steam Workshop can be accessed from the game launcher as well as from the in-game menu, and scenario editor. With Steam Workshop, you can share, download, and build user-created content for the game. We will have a special blog dedicated to these features in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.
Is there DRM?
- Age of Empires 2: HD Edition uses only the Steam service for license management. Games for Windows LIVE is not required.
Have there been any changes made to the gameplay?
- No, it's still the same classic Age of Empires II experience.
...So this is still the same Age of Empires that I know and love?
- Absolutely! All of the gameplay remains the same, we have merely updated the game to run on current operating systems, with HD graphics. The game now scales to fit your monitor, and offers multi-monitor support for even higher resolutions!
What version of the game is this?
- You can expect the mechanics and balance from 1.0c.
Will this work on my Surface Pro?
- Yup! Touch does work, though a mouse and keyboard make it much easier.
What are the minimum system requirements to play the game?
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 (Not available on ARM architecture, i.e. Windows 8 RT)
- Steam Software Platform
- 900x600 minimum resolution display
- Direct X 9.0c Capable GPU
- 1.2GHz CPU
- 1GB RAM
- 2GB HDD
And to close, I think we'll just leave these here....
Have a question? Post it here!