What is Age of Empires Online?
Age of Empires Online is the next evolution in the best-selling real-time strategy (RTS) franchise Age of Empires. Developed by Microsoft Game Studios for the Games for Windows – LIVE platform, Age of Empires Online invites players to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the world. Marrying fresh features with classic RTS gameplay, Age of Empires Online pays tribute to the original game while incorporating a new look, feel, and approach that appeals to long-time fans, newcomers, and everyone in between.
Is it really free to play?
Yes, Age of Empires Online is entirely free to play! In Age of Empires Online we’ve introduced “Empire Points”, an in-game currency that you earn by playing the game. “Empire Points” can then be spent to unlock new content such as additional civilizations or gear with unique designs to make your army stand out.
Is there a subscription fee?
No, there are no subscription fees to play Age of Empires Online.
Is this pay to win?
No. Purchasing a Premium Civ pack is only giving you access to the upgrades mentioned above, you’ll still have to play through the game to earn everything. When you challenge a foe in our PvP Champion mode, know that victory will come from true skill, rather than who has the largest pocketbook.
What do you get when you upgrade to a Premium Civilization?*
A Premium Civ Pack will add the following to your experience:
- Rare and epic gear: Unlock gear that makes your units more powerful, with unique designs to make your armies stand out in battle.
- Access to additional, exclusive quest lines
- Advisors: In the Advisor Hall, you can unlock unique units, such as armored elephants and civilization powers.
- Additional Inventory slots: More than double your inventory space.
- More Workshops: Drastically improve your capital’s production with more workshops to create all the materials you need for crafting.
- Craft Halls: Learn unit enhancements from additional Craft Halls and use them to your advantage in the game. You get seven to choose from, including the Military College, which enhances infantry; the Hunting Lodge, which enhances archers and missile units; and the Cavalry Hall, which enhances mounted units.
- In-game stores: Earn in-game currency from the stores in your Capital City.
*Content subject to change
I started playing with a free civilization but now I want the benefits of the Premium Civ pack. Does this mean I have to start over?
No. You’re on a roll and your empire is ready to take on the world so don’t stop now! When you purchase the Premium Civ pack all the benefits will apply to your current civilization(s) as well, so no need to restart.
What are the system requirements for Age of Empires Online?
- Processor: Dual Core, 2Ghz or higher
- Video card: 128 MB Shader 2 supported card or higher
- Memory: Win XP SP3/Vista Home Basic – 1GB; Vista Premium, Ultimate/Windows 7 (32 bit) – 1.5GB; Windows 7 (64 bit) – 2.5GB
- Hard drive space: 5 GB required for downloads
- Internet: Broadband internet required
What platforms is the game available on?
Age of Empires Online is available via Steam and Games for Windows – LIVE in English, German, French, and Spanish.
Are there achievements in Age of Empires Online?
Yes, we will have achievements!
Is an internet connection required?
Yes. In Age of Empires Online your empire is part of a persistent world with an active global community requiring you to be logged in and online to participate. With Xbox Live integration you can connect with your friends, send and receive invites, earn achievements, and more.
How is downloadable content released?
Age of Empires Online and all add-on content will be distributed online exclusively via Steam and Games for Windows – LIVE.
What civilizations are available to play?
The campaigns in Age of Empires Online are based on historical periods that provide rich settings for storytelling. Choose from a number of historic civilizations including the Babylonians, Celts, Egyptians, Greeks, and Persians. History provides the setting; from there, you make your own story.
What is the Capital City? How does it work?
The Capital City is your civilization’s home base and where you’ll start building your new empire! By utilizing blueprints you find throughout your campaign, as well as vanity items that can be earned, you can customize your Capital City as you see fit. Blueprints will allow you to build new stores, training halls, historic monuments, gardens, and so much more wherever you see fit. And since your Capital City lives online it will continue to gather resources even when you aren’t logged in! Other players are also able to visit your city while you’re offline and purchase items from your stores.
Will there be consequences for not playing?
No, there is no penalty for not playing. Your city can not be attacked and you will not lose levels if you don’t play for a period of time.
Where can I find additional help?